MARSCIANO: The pottery routes
At the center of a vast plain among the green Umbrian hills and picturesque medieval castles, since ancient times Marsciano has been an important crossroads between Perugia, Todi and Orvieto. The Marsciano area is typical of the Umbrian landscape, a journey through the places of rural, crafts and industrial culture.
Its ancient origins are attested by traces and remains of Etruscan, Roman and Lombard settlements. The area has been inhabited since the third millennium B.C., as is seen from the tomb found in San Biagio della Valle (in the Perugia Archeological Museum). Artifacts from the Etruscan and Roman eras include the Loeb tripods (now in Munich) and the Attic black-figure amphora (550-525 B.C.) portraying Theseus fighting the Minotaur (now in the Perugia Archeological Museum) found in San Valentino, the “casket” tomb found in Villanova (preserved in Palazzo Pietromarchi) and the small marble statue possibly of the “Good Goddess” found in Spina, which suggests the existence of a place of worship regarding wellness, probably related to springs.
The Marsciano area reached its heyday, however, in the Middle Ages, such that still today there are numerous and very evident signs of feudal settlements (the castles in Spina, Montelagello, Monte Verniano, Compignano, Migliano, etc.). What remains of the fortified castle of Marsciano are parts of the defense walls, two towers, the rebuilt entrance gate (Porta Vecchia) and the tangle of narrow streets and squares of the old town. Following the fate of dominating Perugia, in 1540 Marsciano became part of the Papal States, up until the unification of Italy.
Marsciano is at the hub of an area characterized throughout its history by the production of pottery and brick, the common thread around which the Dynamic Museum of Brick and Terracotta was created.
Do not miss
- The history of terracotta and brick at the Palazzo Pietromarchi museum
- Church of San Giovanni Battista, which holds a painting by the school of Perugino
- Monument to the Ceci Brothers by Alfredo Marinacci
- “Paola” statue by Antonio Ranocchia
- Series of wells and towers in the medieval walls
- Abbey of San Sigismondo, founded in the year 1000 by St. Romuald, owned by the Sovereign Military Order of the Knights of Malta
- The Futurist mural painting cycle by the Perugian artist Gerardo Dottori in Villa Cruciani (now Villa Cavalletti)
- Shrine with the Madonna and Child by Gerardo Dottori
- The incredible private collection at the Shell Museum, with 3000 species from all the seas in the world
- A visit to the Wine, Labels and Ex Libris Carloni-Tesei Museum, with 8,000 bottles and 85,000 labels from all over the world
- The anise-flavored Carnival wafers cooked using the traditional irons