Housed inside the former Salesian convent, the Museum of the Town of Cannara was inaugurated in 2009. It is dedicated to the history of Cannara and the surrounding area and offers the opportunity to get to know and understand the history of the area from its origins to the modern day.
The rooms hold a conspicuous collection of archaeological material from the excavation of Urvinum Hortense, in Collemancio, evidence the site was occupied from pre-Roman times to the late Middle Ages. The Museum also houses a collection of mediaeval and modern paintings and sculptures from the main churches in the town and from some of the noble palaces.
The tour begins on the ground floor: the first room displays a collection not only of wind and percussion musical instruments from the early 20th century, but also scores and photographs of the period, which bear witness to the solid musical tradition of the town of Cannara.
The archaeological tour begins on the same floor with a first room holding pre-Roman and Roman archaeological finds. However, the pride and joy of the collection is the fascinating, polychrome mosaic from the thermal baths of Urvinum Hortense, which can be viewed from above. A few display cabinets hold the finds from the excavation. This mosaic dates back to the 1st-2nd century AD and is the biggest find discovered in the ancient Roman municipium. It decorated the floor of one of the rooms in the public thermal baths, specifically the bath of the frigidarium. This hypothesis was determined by its waterproofed walls, its location at the beginning of the baths and the special iconography known as “Nilotic” (from the River Nile) with exotic landscapes full of plants and animals and with sometimes humorous human figures.
Next to the archaeological section, there is room for the art collections of the Civic Art Gallery.
The frescoes torn down in 1907 from the Church of the Madonna del Latte, also known as Santa Maria delle Fontanelle, near Collemancio, occupy a whole room of the Picture Gallery.
The entire decoration was removed, as the church building was gradually deteriorating. It was painted by artists from Perugia, from Umbria and from the circle of Tiberius of Assisi. Of particular importance is the fourteenth century Madonna del Latte. The frescoes were shown at the Exhibition of Ancient Umbrian Art in Perugia in 1907, where they were placed next to the main masterpieces of mediaeval and Renaissance art from the region. They have recently been dated between the mid 14th century and the 16th century.
The Picture Gallery also houses works by Marcantonio Grecchi, whose painting was austere and rigorous, by Dono Doni of Assisi, with an eclectic but effective style in his real life portraits, and by Francesco Longhi.