Situated in Piazza Cavour, the Museum of Bettona is housed in the Palazzo del Podestà and in the Palazzo Biancalana. The first building was built in 1371, during the reconstruction of the town initiated by Cardinal Albornoz, the second building was a noble residence built in the Neoclassical style. The museum collection is closely linked to local history and includes two sections.
The archaeological section displays Etruscan and Roman finds which testifies the origin of the territory.
Among the most important works there is the magnificent Aphrodite marble head of the mid-imperial age. The picture gallery is housed on the first floor of the Palazzo Biancalana and in the 13th century Palazzo del Podestà where, among numerous painting, the Virgin of Mercy by Perugino is located.
The archaeological section of the Museum opens the exhibition itinerary giving evidence of the origins of the territory. It includes Etruscan objects, a significant number of architectural pottery, burial markers and boundary stones, rare examples of boundary stone (tular), ceramics, sculptures of the late Hellenistic period and marbles of the Roman period.
Among the most important works there is the magnificent Aphrodite marble head of the mid-imperial age. Gold and other finds discovered in the tomb of Colle which was unearthed in 1913 are displayed in the Umbria National Archaeological Museum in Perugia.
The paving works of Piazza Cavour have unearthed an ancient monumental well dating from the late fifteenth century; it is a circular structure of blocks of square sandstone; the outer diameter to the square level is of 6.40 m. Also interesting are the remains of underground walls and a stretch of roadway from medieval times. The discovered archaeological site is visible inside the underground archaeological tour of the City Museum.
THE MUNICIPAL PICTURE GALLERY
It occupies the 13th century Palazzo del Podestà and some rooms of Palazzo Biancalana, 19th century building in neoclassical style. Alongside the entrance stairway, the papal coats of arms and the frescoes of the Majesty and Saints and of Saints Peter and Paul, bear witness to the long period of time when the town was subordinated to the control of the Church. The collection, since 1904, includes materials of various kinds and it is closely linked to local history. The Picture Gallery houses about sixty artworks, mostly paintings, ranging from the 13th century to the 19th century.
These include, in particular: Saint Anthony of Padua and the Virgin of Mercy with Saints Stephen, Jerome and Commissioners by Pietro Vannucci known as Perugino, Saint Michael the Archangel by Fiorenzo di Lorenzo, The Adoration of the Shepherds by Dono Doni, Virgin in glory and Six Saints by Jacopo Siculo, Saints Peter and Paul by Giuseppe Ribera known as Lo Spagnoletto and the glazed ceramic statue of Saint Anthony of Padua ascribable to the circle of the Della Robbia.
In addition to the numerous paintings it contains sculptures, ceramics, wooden furnishings, seals, coins, medals and stone artefacts.