Palazzo Pietromarchi, a noble residence built in the 1300s by the family of the Bulgarelli counts of Marsciano, has an extensive collection collects of brick building materials, dating from Roman times up to the present, as well as decorative terracottas and pottery for everyday use.
The exhibition in the centuries-old rooms of the palazzo documents not only the social transformations related to brickmaking, which played a significant role in the local economy, especially starting in the 16th century, but above all the industrial production techniques and the use of brick in contemporary architecture. The museum is set up as a starting point for a tour itinerary covering the entire Marsciano area, including the production sites in Compignano and San Fortunato, as well as branch museums in Spina and Compignano.
The museum is divided into various sections: samples of bricks made both by hand and industrially, from ancient times to the present day; Etruscan grave goods; Etruscan-Roman pottery; architectural terracotta; glazed earthenware; the collection of large jars.
The museum exhibition is arranged according to type and function, in order to provide an overview of the production of the workshops of the past. The lack of decoration and the similarity of the shapes and materials used does not allow reliable identification of the source, or, in many cases, reliable dating.
The museum’s collection of terracotta articles is enriched by the collection of the works of Antonio Ranocchia (1915-1989), an artist from Marsciano famous throughout the world especially for his sculptures, mainly in terracotta, in which his strongly expressive style is evident.
Lastly, the Palazzo also has on display a valuable fresco of a Madonna and Child Enthroned with Angels, St. Sylvester and St. Rocco by the school of Pinturicchio, dated around 1500, a portrait of the Blessed Angelina of Montegiove of the Counts of Marsciano, and a rich and colorful collection of Italian and foreign clay whistles.